PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Hawaiian Post Card Quilt & New Trunk


 Good Monday Morning to everyone. I must tell you that my fingers are mighty sore today, yes in deed all ten of them are very tender... my fingers were busy this weekend stitching on the binding to my Hawaiian fabric quilt ( The Post Card Quilt) it takes me about 2 hours per side so 8 hours of  hand stitching, of course I watched a few movies and that helped the time to go by.
 While in Kauai in May we stopped at two quilt shops and I went crazy with all the beautiful Hawaiian fabrics I was seeing and couldn't leave the island without buying some material and a few patterns.
 The Post Card Quilt pattern is so simple and easy to sew and I loved putting all the fabric together.  You can make this quilt with any fabric you might have left over from a previous quilt.
The more colorful the better I think. Anyways come on in to our front room and see the finished Post Card Quilt.


 Well here she is....and I love her! I used 35 different fabrics.






 Aw the binding....it just takes me forever to sew it on. But when its done I am so happy!

 I had my quilter with his amazing long arm quilt machine stitch hibiscus flowers on for me.
 A few months ago while out and about Gary and I stopped over at one of our favorite local furniture stores and purchased this metal and leather trunk coffee table. We agreed it would be great for storage for all our magazines and crochet afghans for our cold winter nights.
 I really like all the studding around the trunk.
 Pull out the handles and there are deep drawers for storage.

 To keep with the topical and Hawaiian quilt  theme,  I put the two sea shell wreaths I made in the basket on the fireplace hearth and added a few sea shells into the  crystal bowl on the coffee trunk table.


I also put a sea shell neck less that just fit perfectly around the lamp shade for a little bit of whimsy!.

May the new week bring you peace in your heart and a smile to your face.

[signature.gif]
Joining in with the following blog parties this week;


Mary-Boogieboard Cottage Masterpiece Monday



Susan-Between Naps on the Porch metamorphosis Monday



Kim-Savvy Southern Style WOW us Wednesday



Bunny Jean -Bunny Jean Decor and More Bunny Hob Wednesday



Honey-2805 A Potpourri Party every Friday



Cindy- My Romantic Home Show and Tell Friday



Courtney- French Country Cottage Feathered Nest Friday



Sherry-The Charm of Home Home Sweet Home Party Fridays




34 comments:

Becky said...

Ahhh, beautiful quilt!! It makes a great memory! I am just getting back to the sewing machine after a 5 week hiatus....I fell and broke my left ankle and right wrist. Can you believe it!!!! So I got my cast off last week and am exercising my wrist...it is finally loose enough to sew a bit. Whoopee!!

Vee said...

It makes a stunning quilt! What a great way to showcase special fabrics.

Betty said...

The quilt is just beautiful. I love the trunk. I love the look of trunks in a room.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Elizabeth and Gary,

You did kind of bring Hawaii home with you. That was quite a task to make that quilt but it is lovely.
The trunk is indeed practical and great looking. You mean you pull out that drawer with those two handles? That is very smart, otherwise you always had to take things off the top to open it up.
Have a great new week and sending you love,
Mariette

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

I love your quilt!! and love how you put all those beautiful fabrics together!!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Oh my goodness gracious. That is one gorgeous quilt...I just am in awe of people who can quilt...not a gift the Lord gave me...but I do enjoy them...you did a beautiful job!!
Oh, is it too late for a piece of the strawberry banana bread??? Yah, I figured it was all gone!! It looked yummy!!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love quilts. Yours is fabulous with the tropical prints framed in white. The trunk table is fun too!

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Your front room looks so well put together that it looks like a page from a magazine that I would enjoy. The trunk is gorgeous but oh my, the quilt is beautiful! You obviously are a patient, talented person. ---------Shannon

Karie said...

Absolutely gorgeous! what a beautiful quilt, you will treasure for a life-time. You are very cretive, and I love your style. Hugs, Karie

Debby said...

What a beautiful quilt. Love your room as well. The trunk is great.

Barbara F. said...

Beautiful quilt, gorgeous colors, and a ton of work! xo

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Elizabeth!

OH MY GOSH........your quilt is just tooooo yummy. I love it. Someday I'm going to have some time to quilt. :-) I have to actually USE some of this fabric stash. :-) We were in Hawaii in May too!.... Oahu, however. My Hubby is from there so we were visiting family. Have you done the Hawaiian applique quilts too? My mother-in-law bought me a kit many years ago.........still haven't done it. Like I said.......someday.

Love your new trunk too. Just perfect in your beautiful room.

Have a great week!

xox
Spencer

Catherine Holman said...

Your quilt is amazing. The quilting pattern really accents all those great fabrics!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Your quilt is fabulous! I could make a Florida quilt...we have so many bright and colorful prints here, too. I get so many ideas but I have never tried to make a quilt...yet! I love your idea for the necklace around the lampshade! I could do that! heehee! And the seashell wreaths are breathtaking! Hugs!

Anne said...

Elizabeth your Hawaiian quilt is out of this world. 35 different fabrics? Wow. You have been busy! I love the Hibiscus quilt design. I like the trunk too. Looks really nice. I hope your having a nice summer.

lil red hen said...

Such beautiful colors!

Unknown said...

Elizabeth,
Your quilt is so beautiful! I love the white combined with the colorful fabrics. It just looks so pretty! I used to love quilting but I need a new machine...it's a hobby I really miss.
Your home is so pretty and inviting. I love your striped rug and your new trunk. I'm looking for something like that for our son, who will be moving into his first home in a couple of months.
Hugs,
Mary

Melinda said...

What a beautiful quilt. Great job.

:)

Ana said...

Aloha Ms. Elizabeth,
Your quilt is beautiful, so bright, colorful and happy. And that trunk is absolutely perfect. You guys did good :-) Hope you are having a wonderful day my friend.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Sandy said...

Your Hawaii quilt is just stunning! When we visited Hawaii many years ago I bought a beautiful piece of fabric too. Your front room is just lovely. May I ask where you purchased that red striped rug? I love it.

Beverly @ My Sew Sweet Studio said...

I guess I didn't know what a postcard quilt was. What a beautiful way to showcase all those beautiful hawaiian prints. And your quilter did a fantastic job. How great to have the memories of your trip to look at in your pretty living room. Yes, bindings are time consuming, but as you did, I always handwork as an excuse to watch some old movies.
Wonderful trunk too. Love a piece that serves two functions.

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Elizabeth!

What a lovely remembrance of you visit to Hawaii! I love all those patterns and colors.

The fact that you made this makes is even more of a treasure!

Thanks for sharing at my party :)

xoxo Bunny Jean
Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

ANNE said...

That is the most beautiful quilt! Thank you for sharing it.

Visiting from Saavy Southern Style.

Anne Marie said...

that is just gorgeous Elizabeth! you are so talented...and your living room looks lovely by the way

xo+blessings,
Anne Marie

retrorevival.biz said...

OMGosh, your quilt is stunningly beautiful! You are so talented! And your pictures are perfect too:)

~Cindy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The quilting really adds to its beauty. So very beautiful! Love that trunk, too. Pretty storage is always a good thing. Have a great day. Tammy

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Your quilt is beautiful and the stitching amazing! I love how it came out. So perfect in your home :)

Many pretty elements in your front room that all come together to create a gorgeous space!

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Great collection of Hawaiian fabrics! The quilting is fabulous -- your quilter has a real talent. The coffee table chest is a perfect addition to your room.

Debra

Chenille Cottage said...

What a wonderful quilt! Your home is so welcoming.
Thank you for sharing your lovely home.
Smiles,
Carolynn

Honey at 2805 said...

Your quilt is gorgeous and love the trunk! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

Betty Stapleton said...

wow what a beautiful quilt, a lot of work, you should be proud, you have done a terrific job. My mother in law quilts so know how much time and work goes into them. Your room is beautiful too, very nicely decorated. Like the trunk, I am looking at older posts too. thank you

annabell@MapleRidgeFarmGirl said...

Elizabeth, Your quilt is just beautiful and I love the ones in your room on the bed and wall too. Hope you are having a wonderful day! ~~ ~~Blessings, Annabell

david said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SuperMomNoCape said...

What a beautiful quilt. Would it be okay if I pinned this to one of my boards on Pinterest?
(supermomnocape at yahoo dot com)